Skip to main content

How to Purchase Friendship Bracelet Supplies


If you want to begin knotting your own friendship bracelets, you may feel overwhelmed by the variety
of strings and tools that others use. However, the supplies you really need to create a bracelet are
simple. One of the best parts about making hand-woven friendship bracelets is that the materials you
need are minimal, inexpensive, and accessible! Craft stores are bound to have a variety of threads
and accessories, but even the basics can be purchased at large national superstores such as Target.


Thread before it is wrapped.

The most essential item you will need to create your bracelets is embroidery thread. Individual

skeins range from around $0.50-$1.00, but bulk packs can also be bought in a range of color

palettes. I recommend this option because it is a cost effective way to jump start your color collection

and enable you to create a rainbow of different color combinations. 


Threads wrapped on plastic bobbins.

Next, you should invest in some bobbins to wind and store your thread on. I’ve tried using

both paper and plastic, but the plastic is always worth the (negligible) extra cost. They are

much more durable and can be reused time and time again for winding new skeins. Another

option is to make your own bobbins out of card stock or cardboard. It is a great way to upcycle

other crafting materials you may have at home.


One of my organized thread boxes.

There are plenty of options to store these wrapped skeins. I have always used clear, divided

plastic storage boxes. These are often placed near embroidery thread in craft stores or with

the jewelry supplies. I love to use these because they are perfect for sorting your thread by color

and ensuring your bobbins stay upright and neat.


How I clip my bracelets.

Next, you will need to decide how to secure your strings when you knot your bracelet.

I also use my plastic storage boxes for this. I simply clip the loop at the top of my bracelet

under the snap of my box. I’ve never had issues with this slipping out or causing other problems

with my string. It is very popular among the bracelet community to also either use a clipboard,

tape, or a safety pin to secure and work on bracelets, but these methods are not comfortable for me. 


The craft scissors I use.

Finally, you may want to get some small crafting scissors. Though you can use whatever you

like to cut your strings, I prefer these small scissors because I can store them in my string box

and not have to worry about carrying them separately from the rest of my supplies. 


At the end of the day, the specific materials and methods you use for your bracelets are up to

your personal preference. See what works for you and build out from there! Have any other

suggestions or questions? Comment down below! - Erica Love, "Rickweaves"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Patterns for Christmas

  Now that November is coming to a close, I'm sure many fellow friendship bracelet makers are looking forward to creating new patterns for the holidays! Here, I've compiled some of my favorite festive patterns for winter and Christmas which I've sourced from Pinterest. Happy knotting and be sure to share your results! 1) Normal Pattern #10905 by user Macaronia on BraceletBook.  2) Normal pattern #93360 by user Keijukainen on Friendship-Bracelets Net. 3) Normal pattern #58456 by user LodsoSam on Friendship-Bracelets Net 4) Alpha pattern #58539 by user rymathews on BraceletBook 5) Normal pattern #50082 by user Hell on Friendship-Bracelets Net 6) Normal pattern #3415 by user mikkomix on BraceletBook 7) Alpha pattern #38831 by user Knot2B on BraceletBook 9) Normal pattern #8249 by user GpailKids on BraceletBook 10) Normal pattern #10659 by user Sherlock on BraceletBook

Cottagecore Jewelry on my Etsy Shop

With spring now in full bloom, the cottagecore aesthetic is becoming more popular than ever. Characterized by the dainty simplicity of picnic-y, country-like, Miss Honey-esque style, cottagecore could be anything from mushrooms to quilts or plaids to frogs and butterflies. That said, I'd like to share some of the recent items I've made available in my shop that perfectly complement cottagecore vibes!  1) Cottagecore mystery bundle Personally, I am a sucker for mystery bundles or boxes and figured that preparing them for others would be the perfect way for lovers of the cottagecore aesthetic to build up their collection of cottagecore jewelry and accessories. I've also created mystery bundles for  fairycore ,  hippie , and  y2k  aesthetics too, FYI!  I like to wrap all my new mystery bundles with recycled book pages which serve a dual purpose: being environmentally sustainable and super cute! 2) Ladybug charm "huggie" hoop earrings I absolutely love the minimalist